Sunday, August 9, 2015

Reality Check

These moms that have "baby blogs" and find time to blog in the middle of figuring out how to parent a child... I don't know how they do it. Mom bloggers, kudos to you.

The past few months have been a whirlwind, and the next several are also bound to be interesting as I face going to back to work and a change in what I'm teaching on top of that. I'm anxious about figuring out pumping at work and being away from my son so much.

But anyway...

In March I made a little list of things that I was looking forward to once little guy was born. It looked like this:

- Wearing normal shoes again
- Sleeping on my tummy without a giant nest of pillows taking over the bed!
- Wrapping a towel around myself - the whole way! -  after showering
- Having coffee/a drink once in a while... this hasn't been a huge sacrifice for me but looking forward to it anyway
- Bending over easily to pick something up
- Flipping over in bed without it taking ten minutes and having it sound like I've just run a marathon
- Wearing normal pants with a belt... don't get me wrong, maternity pants with their elastic waistbands are awesome, but inevitably they stretch and start falling down - and that big elastic support makes it difficult to adjust yourself subtly!
- Walking without feeling like a Barbie doll that someone has snapped the legs off of

Well, after a few months post-partum, here is the reality check on all of those things:

- Wearing normal shoes again... and normal shoes now means anything with memory foam. I've got more variety back again but I don't think I'll be wearing heels again for a while. 
- Sleeping on my tummy without a giant nest of pillows taking over the bed!... nope... breastfeeding means that my chest balloons during the night and tummy sleeping is still super uncomfortable. I'll get there someday. 
- Wrapping a towel around myself - the whole way! -  after showering... getting there!
- Having coffee/a drink once in a while... this hasn't been a huge sacrifice for me but looking forward to it anyway... this is a nice perk. Drinking still seems like such a waste though while I'm breastfeeding. I hate having one drink and then having to "pump and dump." What's the point, really? : )
- Bending over easily to pick something up... Well... carrying a baby around and trying to pick something up is incredibly difficult. But sans baby it is much easier than it was a few months ago : )
- Flipping over in bed without it taking ten minutes and having it sound like I've just run a marathon .... this is pretty nice. I definitely appreciate this.
- Wearing normal pants with a belt... Yeah.... overrated.
- Walking without feeling like a Barbie doll that someone has snapped the legs off of... This I can do again! Even though my muscles always feel sore these days... at least I can walk without waddling!



Also, teething is crazy and the four-month sleep regression is REAL.

K., out! : )

1 comment:

  1. Well, I'm glad to hear that some of the things you were looking forward to have come to pass! I'm sure that the rest will come in time. :)

    ReplyDelete