Thursday, April 23, 2015

He's here!


After months of waiting... Baby Z is finally here!

Right now he is taking a nap. Hallelujah!

Baby Z was due on April 6, but that date came and went without any excitement. I started timing contractions on Friday the 10th, went to the hospital around 11:00 pm, and was sent back home at 2:30 am to wait for things to get more "powerful." On Sunday morning the 12th, I thought my water broke (yes - it is possible for you not to be sure if your water has broken, trust me) and was back in the hospital at 1:30 pm. Annnnnnnd then sent home again at 4:30 pm. On Monday the 13th I went in to be induced at 7 am and finally things got rolling - although after having early labor for three days already, I was advanced enough that I did not have to have much Pitocin rolling through my system (also fortunate from what I've heard). We were all like OKAY DUDE, YOU'RE COMING OUT TODAY WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT.

If you know someone who is pregnant, especially if they are pregnant for the first time, I will tell you right now- do NOT bother them if they are close to their due date and baby hasn't arrived yet, or even worse, if they are overdue. Trust me. They know they are overdue. They feel miserable and impatient and frustrated and whale-like. It is not helpful when you say things like "Any baby yet?" "So are you having this baby or not?" and "Did you have this baby already and not tell anyone?" I can't tell you how short my temper was and how many times I just sat and cried when I got messages like that. I wanted Baby Z out just as much - if not more - than everyone else. But there wasn't much I could do about it. Unsolicited advice about kick starting labor was not helpful, either. Believe me, I was on every article about naturally inducing labor and tried everything short of castor oil (nope nope nope). None of it worked.



One of the days I was just sitting at home getting bombarded with messages - texts, facebook - feeling frustrated and awful, and I got on Pinterest and searched "postdue pregnancy humor." I was not disappointed. If anyone else out there is going through the same thing, I highly recommend it. 

ANYWAY. So after going in and out of the hospital (my brother joked I should get a punch card, and I said not unless the final prize was a baby) so many times, I got into my room and I was not leaving until that baby was born. All of my IVs were started (I tested positive for Group B strep, so I had an IV for that, plus the Pitocin). And then I got to experience what real contractions were after a weekend of early labor. Those contractions were no joke. I set a goal that I was not going to ask for my epidural until after 9. At 9:30 I told the nurse she better get things in motion, and I made it to 10 before they came to do the epidural. It was no treat, because I kept having these God-awful contractions while they were trying to position a needle in my spine. But let me tell you... once that thing was in, it was magic. Suddenly it felt like I was laying on an electric blanket and my legs got that "falling asleep" feeling, and all of the contractions just felt like pressure instead of like my insides were being wrung out through an old-fashioned washing machine. I actually  fell asleep and took a nap after the epidural. Yes. In the middle of my labor. It was awesome.

Then suddenly at about 2, the midwife came back to check on me and said, "Okay, we're good to start pushing now. You ready?" And I was like, "Oh! Alright. Let's go."

So me, the midwife, the nurse, A., and my mom got down to trying to get Baby Z OUT. And after two hours (ahhh!) of pushing, it finally worked. 

**TMI alert, so skip ahead if you're squeamish** In the middle of my pushing, the midwife got called away in an emergency to another room because some other poor woman passed out due to blood loss. Yikes! I'm not sure if it would have mattered or not- A. and my mom swear it would have been better- but I feel like if she would have been there the whole time, I might have gotten an episiotomy and been spared a whole lot of future pain. Because this child of mine tore everything he could on the way out. Every. Thing. Second degree tears. It took an hour to get stitched up afterwards... which was no treat. Trust me. And it still feels pretty miserable. **

We had lots of really great nurses throughout our hospital stay, and after filling out loads of paperwork and watching some videos, we were able to come home with little guy. While it was scary to leave the nurses and doctors and safety of the hospital, it was nice to come to our home comforts. We're figuring it out, day by day, which is all any first-time parents can really do. We've had a lot of help from A's parents and sister and my mom - she came down last weekend and pretty much did all of our household chores, since we are exhausted and I'm not allowed to lift anything heavy or drive until next week. 



Anyway, there's the "Baby Story" of Baby Z... blogs will probably be scarce in the near future because this one took three days and multiple naptimes to get out. 

Take care!
-K.

1 comment: