Wednesday, December 17, 2014

All things Christmas

Hello again!
I haven't dropped off the face of the earth. I have just been super busy, and super tired. In case no one has ever warned you - pregnancy sucks up a TON of energy! I have been lurking on the blogs I follow, but I haven't been commenting and obviously I haven't been posting. Another thing about pregnancy - even though I would like to talk about it and write some posts, I also feel like a lot of the information is TMI. :-\
Anyway, since we're just a week away from Christmas eve, I thought I'd go the "survey" route again. I found this one at "Running with Spoons." I copy/pasted it right from the blog (hope that's okay, Amanda - you have full credit!) and the cute formatting she did came right with it. Enjoy!


Before Christmas…
Do you send out Christmas cards?
I do! This year it has been on a rolling basis. I meant to take care of all of that over Thanksgiving break but... TIRED.
How soon do you start shopping?
I will start as early as October or November if I find things that make me think of people. This year I am actually done at this point - I set a budget, I stuck to it, and I don't want to shop anymore : )
Do you have a lot of gifts to buy?
I buy for A., obviously, and my parents and brother. We also get for his parents, sister and brother-in-law, and our nephews. I get for my grandparents. This year I got dog toys for Penny, my parents' dog, and my brother's new dog. I usually don't get presents for friends unless I see something that I just can't pass up! So overall - there are not too many presents to buy, but I try to put thought into everything I get, which makes it a more complicated process. 
Do you bake cookies?
Normally - yes. This year - if I feel like it next week, I'll do some baking... but if not, I don't think anyone will be heartbroken! : )

Decorations…
Do you put up a Christmas tree?
Yes! We have our big tree in the living room. I have a four-foot tree for all of my Barbie ornaments. I have a Charlie Brown Christmas tree that I put in the guest room, and this year at school I bought a little tree from a fundraiser and the kids decorated it for me!
If so, is it fake or real? 
All of my trees are fake - except for the little one I got for school this year. My least favorite part of decorating is putting lights on the tree, so when I could afford to get a tree that was pre-lit, I was like- DONE. 
Do you like tinsel?
Only in garland form!
Do you use homemade or storebought ornaments? 
I think the majority of my ornaments are store bought... I am sure we will have more homemade ones once the family starts growing! : ) [You can see a post I did about ornaments from last year, here.]
Part of my Barbie ornament collection from my uncle. 

Do you put Christmas lights outside your house?
I put them on our porch rails. Neither of us have been motivated enough to figure out actual outdoor lights yet, and also I am terrified of ladders.
Do you put lights on the tree? 
The lights are already on the tree! YAY
How about popcorn and cranberries?
No... nothing edible on the tree.
Is there a wreath hanging on your door?
Yes! and one in the foyer, too.
 

Christmas Eve…
Do you celebrate it?
Yes! One of the reasons I enjoyed this survey from Amanda is that she is also Polish and so her Christmas traditions are similar to mine. Growing up we always did a lot on Christmas eve - my family isn't Catholic so no Midnight Mass, but we would go to our Methodist church for one or two services, then go to my grandparents' house to exchange gifts with them, my aunts and uncles, and cousins. Seafood and lots of Christmas treats. As we got older and my dad's family spread out, that tradition kind of fell through, so we started going to my mom's side to celebrate my cousin's birthday, which is on Christmas Eve. 
Last year was my first Christmas Eve away from home, and we celebrated with A.'s family. I went to a local church for their candlelight service.
Do you hang up your stocking?
We do! Our last house actually had a mantle. Not at our new place, but I hang them off of our bookshelf. : )
Have you ever left cookies out for Santa?
Always when I was younger! And carrots for the reindeer. And one year, an inkpad to get Santa's fingerprint to try and determine if my parents were really involved in the whole spiel. LOL

Favorite…
Christmas Movie?
A Year Without a Santa Claus! I'm watching it now. I also really, really love White Christmas. 
Character from any Christmas Movie?
Snow Miser. And Buddy the Elf!
Christmas Song?
Silent Night... it reminds me of the reason for the season, and takes me back to twenty-plus years of Candlelight services at church. 

Christmas Memory?
I really love all of the family bonding I get to do around Christmas, but sometimes it can get hectic. One of my favorite Christmas memories that always sticks out is one Christmas night when my mom and I spread out on the couch and watched Christmas movies, with just the Christmas tree lights on in the background. It was so peaceful after all of the running around during the day. 
Christmas Cookie?
My mom makes meringue cookies every year, and they're my favorite. They melt in your mouth!

This or That…
Give or Receive?
I love to give gifts!
Ham or Turkey?
Either... mmm, food!
Star or Angel?
Either... right now we have an angel. I have also used Santa hats as tree toppers.
White Lights or Coloured Lights?
White lights.
Blinking Lights or Still Lights?
Still.
Were you Naughty or Nice this year?
I try to be nice!

Presents…
What do you want for Christmas this year?
Some new maternity shirts so I don't have to rotate the same sweaters through my wardrobe every week : )
When do you open your gifts?
Christmas Eve with A's family, Christmas morning with A., and Christmas day with my family. 
What’s the best gift you’ve ever gotten?
It's hard for me to pick one. Being able to spend every Christmas with my family is a pretty big deal and people have always given me nice and thoughtful things. Last year A. did get me a snowflake necklace that I'd had my eye on for two years!
What’s the worst gift you’ve ever gotten?
One year when I was about 8 years old, my grandpa wrapped up empty boxes for me and all of my cousins. Not a nice trick to play on a kid! Also, when I was 11 or 12 my aunt got me a training bra. I was so humiliated to open it in front of everyone!
Do you like wrapping gifts?
I don't mind it - I set up shop in a room with a TV and play a Christmas movie while I get it all done in one shot. 

Random…
Can you name all the reindeer?
Better yet, I can SING all of the reindeer!
Have you ever gotten a kiss under the mistletoe?
I don't think so. That's an actual thing? 
Do you go caroling?
I've gone several times with church and with school groups. Most people seem to appreciate it, actually. 
Do you drive around and look at the Christmas lights?I haven't in recent years because I'm not sure where I'd go in my new area, but we always did that as a family on Christmas Eves before or after church. This year I did take A. to see an area attraction called "Lights on the Lake" for the first time. I've also seen the lights at Hersheypark Christmas Candy Lane, which is cool!
Have you ever had a white Christmas?Yes, but not in recent years! (Which is okay since we're always traveling on Christmas!)
Who do you celebrate Christmas with?Our families... yes, we enjoy it!
Have you ever had your picture taken with Santa? 
Yes, usually with my brother, and we have this gem...
Check out those sweatsuits! LOL
What part of Christmas do you look most foward to?
Spending time with family. Honestly, even without any gifts, it would be nice to be with everyone. I can't lie, I am so looking forward to next Christmas and creating all kinds of new traditions with my son : ) 


I will be back sometime soon to write a giant post relating to books... I actually have been planning that one in my head. See you soon, and Merry Christmas! : )
-K.

2 comments:

  1. You're blogging get more than I am! Haha I've just been so busy and tired by the time I get home. I'm hoping to get posts scheduled over break! This survey is a good idea. I might steal it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl I hear you... I have never been more tired in my life! Thanks for the Christmas card : )

      Delete