Tuesday, October 28, 2014

And I was like, Baby, Baby, Baby ooooh!

It's Week 17! and marching band is 95% done for the year. Which is ordinarily a nice feeling anyway, but exceptionally nice this year since, you know, I'm growing a human. : )

Here's the latest and greatest:

* The most frequent question I'm currently asked is "How are you feeling?" It has surpassed "When are you due?" now that more people are aware that I'm expecting. I no longer feel sick (THANK YOU JESUS!), so the most common answers are "Tired" and "Like I have to pee."

* We find out whether Baby Z is a boy or girl on November 14th! We are super excited. : )

* Another popular question is whether I would prefer a boy or girl. My answer is, as long as the baby is healthy, I don't care. The last thing I want is for this child to come into the world already feeling like it disappointed me for being "wrong." (However, A is convinced it's a girl.)

* Registries are overwhelming. At least for our wedding I knew what we actually needed and wanted. With all the baby registry lists out there I have no idea what is actually necessary, so I've been asking recent mommy friends on Facebook for their advice.

* The best thing happened at my last evening marching practice last week. I ended field show practice and gave the kids a ten minute break before we started running parade practice. Meanwhile, parents start arriving for a Music Booster meeting. Two parents come up to me looking very concerned and say I need to come in and talk to a third parent, who is having a nervous breakdown due to her family's financial concerns. I turn around to give the band instructions before I go in AND THEY ARE ALL MISSING. So I head in to locate them and find this distraught mother. The band is still nowhere to be found and I am getting mad. Parents 1 and 2 are in the hallway telling me that the upset mom is in the cafeteria and asking me to please calm her down, so I turn in there and BAM! Lights go on, and my entire band (and some of their parents) are sitting there with a table full of two sheet cakes and snacks, and another table full of gifts!



That's right - my staff, band, and boosters threw me a baby shower. I had NO IDEA it was coming... I mean, this baby's not even halfway there!

It was such a wonderful surprise. My assistant band director, who is also a really good friend, assigned each section of the band a different "theme" to shop for - the clarinets got bath supplies, the trumpets and saxes got tons of diapers, the low brass got bibs and bottles, the color guard got all kinds of onesies and blankies, etc. It was so sweet. The kids actually liked watching me open the presents - even the boys were paying attention! And their stories about shopping for their gifts were just as precious as the gifts themselves. 


This is my giant collection of stuff from the shower. We had to stow it all in the guest room because we do not have a room cleared out for a nursery yet. We're getting there, slowly but surely, but the gifts from this shower gave us a great head start!

Sorry for the lack of updates lately, but as I said... it's been busy. Hopefully I can get back into the swing of things soon!
-K.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! What a great surprise! That is so incredibly sweet! You have some really great kids and parents! :)

    ReplyDelete