Monday, June 16, 2014

The Tonys: They're grrrrrrreat!

This year's Tony broadcast was interrupted by a poorly timed thunderstorm. It completely killed our DirecTV satellite for the first 15 minutes or so of the broadcast, and then intermittently in between. Luckily I found a live stream online since our internet still worked. I know, I know... first world problems. The Tonys are one of my favorite things!

Last year's Tonys with Neil Patrick Harris hosting was one of my favorite TV broadcasts ever. The opening ceremony was, in NPH's immortal words, "crazy pants." So that's tough to beat... but I did enjoy this year's production as well!

This entry includes many, many embedded videos that may not be visible if viewed from mobile devices.

In case you were confused by Hugh Jackman bouncing into the Tony Awards, it was a tribute to the performance of "Take me to Broadway" in the 50s musical "Small Town Girl." You can spot a clip of it in the background as he bounces by at one point. An interesting choices of allusions to make, especially at the beginning of the show, but it got everyone's attention!


Here is a compilation of my favorite moments from this year's awards:

1) Hugh, LL Cool J, and TI performing a rap version of "Rock Island" from the Music Man. I know some people really hated this and some loved it. I LOVED IT.


2) NPH's acceptance speech:

While I'm not a huge fan of "Hedwig and the Angry Inch," NPH has such charm and cracked me up with his comment, "This time last year I was hosting the Tonys. This is crazy pants!"

3) Audra MacDonald's acceptance speech:

Audra made history for being the first person to win in four different acting categories at the Tonys, and let's face it, she's pretty boss anyway; however, she started crying, so I started crying, and I just love her so much. Congratulations Audra. : )


4) Hugh introducing the nominees for Best Actress in a musical by singing and dancing with them. So fun! Unfortunately could not find a video clip of this.

5) We all know I love Broadway and Disney, so when the two of them collide I get a little bit excited. "Friend Like Me" is one of my favorite Disney songs of all time - my brother and I used to watch Aladdin on repeat as kids, and I know all the words and vocal inflections by the great Robin Williams - and this performance was pretty fun. BTW, James Monroe Iglehart seems like he could be my best friend. Loved seeing him any time he popped up at the awards! His acceptance speech was pretty great, too.




6) The performance from "A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder." I didn't know much about this show, but I do know that this performance was spectacular and super fun to watch!


7) The news that FINDING NEVERLAND is being turned into a musical. This was accompanied by a beautiful performance by Jennifer Hudson. I loved that movie, especially the score - it's one of my favorite CDs because I'm a piano nerd. I cannot wait to see what happens with this!

8) Carole King and Jessie Mueller performing bits from "Beautiful: The Musical." It just seems like Jessie Mueller would be fun to hang out with after watching her acceptance speech later in the show!


9) Of course, the performance from Les Mis. Not a huge fan of Eponine's voice, here, but she does have some pipes.


and

10) Idina Menzel's performance from If/Then. Jonathan Groff's introduction of her was pretty priceless, as well. : ) Poor Idina hasn't had much luck performing live on awards shows, but I feel like this one finally went right for her!





Things I was not so much a fan of: Rocky and Sting. Eh.

You know what was super cool about this particular show? So many of the award winners thanked their teachers... I felt that was pretty special. : )

Off for some summer fun... be back soon!
-K.

1 comment:

  1. I loved the Hugh, LL Cool J, & TI performance (and that's saying a lot because I don't like rap music)! Also not a fan of Hedwig and the Angry Inch, but enjoyed NPH's acceptance speech. I also loved Hugh's intro of the nominees for Best Actress in a musical. :) The Aladdin performance was great! I had forgotten how much I love Aladdin and now I need to buy the movie. I really want to see that one on Broadway! The Carole King musical sounds AMAZING, and so does If/Then. I may be downloading some musical albums soon. In college, I had the Wicked soundtrack long before I ever saw it on Broadway. I don't know why I've stopped that!

    I really enjoyed watching the Tony's this year. (Ummm...and do you skip all of the stuff about plays, too?? Boring! LOL)

    ReplyDelete