Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Keeping things in perspective

As I mentioned in my blog post the other day, last week was a bit of a downer. Something was just... off. I was completely stressed out, overwhelmed, and frustrated with my job, and my students could definitely tell (ahh, the joys of students bashing teachers online). I feel like I've been so busy lately that I haven't seen my husband much. Concert season is a crazy, crazy time. I spent all of March with the musical, and I was looking at April as a break between musical season and concert season. Turns out, I spent most of April preparing for May and it flew.

Needless to say, by Friday night I was not feeling my best.



So I was trying to unwind, and it wasn't working, and then I came across a Facebook post that was like a splash of ice water to my face. Wake up, K. If your biggest problem is that you have too much work to do, you're doing pretty good.

One of my colleagues has been out of school since the beginning of the year because her baby son (he turned one this March) was diagnosed with cancer after his father found a lump on his leg. The foundation that they have created, Wishes for Weston, frequently pops up on my Facebook page. We have been doing a lot of fundraising at school to help them out. Anyway, there was an update: "BIG UPDATE: Biopsy results came back early, and Weston's lymph nodes are FREE of cancer! !! This is the biggest and most encouraging news that we have gotten all along. Next step is to begin plans for the leg amputation. There may be hurdles ahead, but today we praise God and are thankful for healing!! So proud of our little cancer fighter:-) "

I mean. I can't even imagine. First of all, to have to go through your baby having cancer. And then to have to think about a leg amputation on top of it all.

My petty worries right now are nothing compared to what this family is experiencing.

I admire my coworker and her family so much for their strength and positivity. I am keeping them in my prayers. I have had a share of difficult life events over the last few years, but I need to remember to count my blessings and do what I can for others.

In the meantime, I tried to approach my week with a more laid-back attitude and I have been trying to pay it forward a little more.
-K.

1 comment:

  1. It is so hard not to get wrapped up in our own stresses and day to day worries. It is easy to forget that someone out there has it much worse. So glad to hear a good report about this, though!

    ReplyDelete