Monday, March 24, 2014

Bye Bye Bye Birdie!

Well, another musical has come and gone. I am so exhausted that I apparently can't sleep... now that my mind doesn't have the show to focus on, it has been bouncing around from topic to topic and prohibiting any ability to fall asleep.

With that said, I took the day off tomorrow; I'm getting a massage, the dog is going to the groomer, and I'm going to try to get some things done that have been pushed to the backburner for the last week or so (ie, laundry, putting things back where they belong, running some minor errands, etc.).

Anyway, since I have musicals on the brain, and I already wrote a post about my favorites, I thought I'd check out AFI's 100 Years of Musical Movies list, and break it down! (I love AFI's lists.)


1. We already know that I love Singin' in the Rain!
2. West Side Story is a great movie musical. The score was groundbreaking and the dancing is iconic. 
3. The Wizard of Oz is also an iconic movie musical (duh). But the actual musical... wow, that thing can drag on and on and on.
4. The Sound of Music was also on my list of musicals that I love : )
5. I think Cabaret is a very interesting musical... there are some good songs and a very poignant message. I almost auditioned for this one in college and chickened out at the last minute. I find the movie kind of strange, however. Liza Minelli is awesome, and so is Joel Grey, but I don't remember being glued to the screen the entire time it was on.


6. One word: Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious! Apparently I really enjoyed watching this one on repeat for a while as a child, but I don't remember it.
7. The first one on this list I haven't seen, but I guess I will add to my Netflix - A Star is Born. Apparently this is widely regarded as Judy Garland's best performance; and the plot sounds a lot like another musical on this list, Funny Girl...
8. Anytime I think of My Fair Lady, I just think of what it might have been like with Julie Andrews - even though if she'd done MFL, she wouldn't have been Mary Poppins. MFL has many popular songs, but I think one of the most striking scenes in the movie is the Ascot Gavotte, with excellent costuming and fantastic deadpan.


9. I really enjoy Gene Kelly and I wasn't disappointed by An American in Paris when I watched it. I wasn't surprised to learn that the opening segment with Leslie Caron was considered very scandalous. Again, not a big fan of the huge ballet. I do enjoy the bit where Gene Kelly performs with the French children. : )


10. Meet Me In St. Louis was a very enjoyable movie; Judy Garland is wonderful of course, and the story is charming. It doesn't hurt that "The Trolley Song" and "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" are both in this show.
11. The story of The King and I is a very interesting one, and I haven't watched this movie in a while even though I own it. Maybe that will be on my list of things to do tomorrow! Love the song "Getting to Know You."
12. I DON'T KNOW HOW I FORGOT CHICAGO ON MY ORIGINAL LIST. I love this movie. I love this music. Catherine Zeta-Jones' voice is gold, Queen Latifah is fantastic, and I even found Renee Zellweger tolerable in this movie. I mean, really. Richard Gere was such a nice surprise and I never really noticed John C. Reilly before this movie. There's just so. Much. Goodness.
13. I am only vaguely familiar with 42nd Street and I've never seen the movie. I'm interested in checking in out!
14. All That Jazz is another one I haven't seen. Bob Fosse is legendary, and this is his autobiographical film.
15. Yet another movie I'm not familiar with... Top Hat stars Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, so it's sure to have some pretty awesome dancing, and it also has the song "Cheek to Cheek."
16. Finally, a break in my dry spell! I thoroughly enjoyed Funny Girl when I saw it the first time, and it made me appreciate Barbra Streisand as an actress. "Don't Rain on my Parade" is the most famous song from this movie, I think, but I really enjoy her first scene as an actress in the Ziegfeld Follies.


17, 18, and 19 - I have never seen The Band Wagon, Yankee Doodle Dandy, or On the Town. Man, my Netflix queue just got really inflated...
20. Grease is a musical I grew up with... and when I got all of the sexual innuendos when I watched it as an older teenager, I was shocked my parents ever let me watch it at all!
21. I have seen parts of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, but I have never watched the entire thing. The only scene I can remember off the top of my head is the one where they are all in the snow chopping wood...
22. I think if you have ever read this blog at all you know I am a Disney enthusiast, so the fact that I have seen Beauty and the Beast enough to quote every single line should not be a surprise. It was also the first show I ever saw on Broadway!
23. Guys and Dolls was on my favorites list in my previous post... it is a great movie.
24. Show Boat - dangit, another one to add to my viewing list.
25. Moulin Rouge confused me to the millionth degree when I watched it the first time. The more times I watched, the more I understood and fell in love with Baz Luhrmann's vision. The "Elephant Love Medley" is really special to me, because before every show we did in college, the ladies of the show would all belt it out together in the dressing room before taking the stage.

And there you have it! More musical fun.
I have the sneaking suspicion that many of these songs are now going to be stuck in my head tonight... hopefully I can still fall asleep!
-K.

1 comment:

  1. That is quite a good list! There are a lot on there I haven't seen (on stage or as movies), and I think I need to! Actually, it's funny, as I type, my students are watching The Wizard of Oz so that they don't drive me totally insane since today's PSSA testing session is over!

    I LOVE Mary Poppins! :)

    Oh, and welcome "back" to my sidebar! :) I've been slacking in blog land lately, but I knew your month was about over. I wanted to let you know...good thing you are on top of things!

    ReplyDelete