Friday, February 21, 2014

T.G.I.F!

Well, hello. I have recently become the most boring blogger in the land. My sincerest apologies. This past week has not been the greatest- DEFINITELY not the worst, but for some reason it felt like everything was converging in on me and I was in full-out panic mode. I seriously felt like I was in a small room that kept shrinking smaller and smaller around me until I was curled up in the fetal position, rocking back and forth.

This seems accurate.

Luckily, tonight I feel much better. First of all, I have the knowledge that this week is behind me. Secondly, I had a wonderful date night with my husband. A's parents took Penny for the evening so we didn't have to worry about getting back to the house in time to let her out, or think about how wired she would be when we got back. It was nice just to have a night out together with no distractions! (Also: Red Lobster's Lobsterfest. Yum. I am so glad I wound up with someone who loves seafood as much as I do.)

Thirdly, my winter concert was last night, and I am beyond relieved that it is done. I don't know why I was so worked up about it. My kids weren't as prepared as they could have been, what with all the stupid snow days and two hour delays (necessary, but still annoying when you're preparing for a set concert date) but they still did a good job and produced some solid performances. I think deep down I was anxious that it was my first concert conducting two groups - until this point I have always done half (or a third) and then another director(s) has taken over with another group. Plus, before the concert, my video camera decided not to work (so I have no recordings, and therefore can't do performance evals and have to change around my lesson plans), and I also got a runner in my nylons, and the lining on my dress kept riding up because of static. I was exhausted by the end of the night and did not want to wake up this morning.

Love MF and my favorite Cam. : )


But I did, and I made it through Friday, and the week. 

The other thing that has been stressing me out lately is the latest budget issue for education in my district. There is a huge shortfall because of some mess with the governor and pensions, and they are talking about raising school district taxes- a LOT. People are (understandably) freaking out about it. I am personally panicky about it because I am terrified that I will lose my job again. Was it the worst thing that ever happened to me? No. Do I have more financial responsibilities now? Yes. Do I ever really want to go through it again? Absolutely, positively NOT.

Sigh.

Anyway, this weekend my parents are picking me up and we are going to visit my brother in the D.C. area. I am excited because there is always something interesting and different to do when we visit them. We might also meet up with my cousin and her husband, and they are both very fun to be around. I think it's going to be good for me to get out of here for a little bit and leave all of my work behind for a day. Also, family time is healing for me. <3

One of my favorite pictures of me and my brother, ever... a completely ridiculous New Year's Day in the Magic Kingdom. Other tourists were taking pictures of my brother like they were taking pictures of the actual Disney characters. So, so, so many laughs.

In a vein of positivity, here are some other good things about this past week:
- The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon. DUH.
- Finished "The Beyonders" series by Brandon Mull. SO GOOD. I am in book series withdrawal. Right now I am in that floundering phase between two books.
- I haven't been as dependent on my phone... I actually forgot it at home one day. WHAT.
- When I was feeling completely down on Wednesday, bff C stepped up to the plate with a Kid President video and lots of texts. 
- I planned a trip to Pittsburgh in August with my three best girls, C, B, and S. I am so excited!
- I have fantastic students who are helpful and resilient. 
- It was a full week of school - we did have a delay Tuesday, but it's the first five day week we've had since Christmas. Maybe that's why it lasted forever!

Okay... I'm out - early morning trip tomorrow, lots of driving. Have a great weekend, everyone! Again, thanks for sticking with me through this rough blogging patch. I'm sure I'll get my groove back soon. : )
-K.


2 comments:

  1. I hate weeks like that! I'm so glad it's over and that you're feeling a bit better with it behind you! Enjoy your trip! :)

    ReplyDelete