Thursday, February 27, 2014

Adventures in homemaking: Crockpot dinner and brownie time!

Yesterday when I came home from school I was looking forward to having some delicious leftover Taco Soup for dinner. I got out my tortilla chips, heated up the soup, sat down to eat and... YUCK. It went sour! : ( Less than a week old... I don't know what happened. But I needed something else to eat. So I made some clam chowder on the stove top... only to find, upon tasting it, that I had purchased the flavorless "heart healthy" version. That also wound up in the garbage, even after an attempt to flavor it with salt and pepper. Finally I just settled on cereal.

That wasn't going to happen today.

Instead, I put two pounds of beef roast in the crock pot this morning and added this Campbell's Slow Cooker packet:


Last year during a school luncheon, one of the teachers made Korean Bulgogi with rice and ginger carrots (it was a Hawaiian-Pacific themed luncheon). It was SO delicious and he gave us the recipes, but I have been kind of intimidated by the recipe since I got it. When I saw this Slow Cooker sauce (which I found thanks to my Target Cartwheel, one of my true loves) I was so hoping that it would be similar to that delicious steak we had at the luncheon. And it was pretty close! I served it over rice and made the ginger carrots as a side, which were very do-able. Here is the recipe:

Ginger Carrots
5 carrots, pared and sliced
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup orange juice
1 tsp cornstarch
1 TBSP white sugar
1/4 tsp fresh ginger (... I did use ground ginger from the spice cabinet)

Cook the carrots in a pot of water with the salt, until soft, for about 20 minutes.
In a separate pot, combine the OJ, cornstarch, sugar, and ginger. Stir until smooth.
Drain the water from the carrots and add them to the ginger sauce. Stir to coat. 


I don't necessarily think that this meal will be in our everyday meal rotation, but I'd be willing to throw it in every once in a while. It was nice to have something different!

I also made brownies for dessert, because I was feeling some brownies today. I always top my brownies with white chocolate chips. I started doing that once just for something different, and found that it is actually very very very yummy... so now I do it just about every time. : )

I hope you all had a delicious dinner as well!
-K.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure that this would be my cup of tea, but I LOVE the idea of those slow cooker sauce packets! I'm going to need to look for those.... :)

    ReplyDelete