Sunday, January 19, 2014

Fixing laminate scratches with a walnut

I know, I know, I haven't written in a while. I've been dragging lately and I have been so insanely busy with work.

However.

I'm so excited about this functional life hack that I had to immediately get on the blog and share it with the world.

Our new house (we've been in here for almost a year!) has laminate wood flooring in the living room and halls, and we like it. No, it's not real wood, but I don't have a huge problem with that. I'm not extremely picky about my flooring, and actually, our last place had real wood floors - that expanded and shrunk depending on the temperature and humidity, and were not pleasant to walk on in bare feet.

We have a coffee table in the living room, and I don't know if it got nicked or what happened when we moved, but when I tried to push it to clean the floor under it, a huge scratch was left behind on the laminate. Oops.

Then when I tried to move it back it scratched the floor again, in another spot. AHHHH.

So we've been living with these scratches in our floor for a while and it's whatever, but I saw this pin on Pinterest and thought it might be worth a shot:


I didn't know if it would work on my floor since it's laminate and not wood but... IT DID.

Before:

After:


You can still see a faint trace of the scratch but it's nowhere near as noticeable as before.

I was so (embarassingly) excited about this that I kept going:


Aaaaaaand after:




Is it perfect? Nope. But it looks so much better. Also, Penny finds the floor very tasty now.

Anyway, there is my excitement for this Sunday: I used walnuts to fix my flooring. I'm such a grown-up now. : )

-K. 




1 comment: