Sunday, January 26, 2014

Aspartame... aka a headache in a can

I've been suffering from pretty intense headaches for a couple years now, and I keep blaming different things. Stress from unemployment, stress from the wedding, stress from starting a new job, stress from grad classes. Lack of sleep. Need for an updated eye prescription. Spending too much time on the computer and phone. Grinding my teeth.

But then I settled into the new job, the wedding and the Masters degree were months in the past, I started sleeping better once Penny got older, I talked to my eye doctor and got new glasses and contacts, and I wear a mouthguard at night for my teeth. I cut down the computer and phone time. And the headaches were still going on.

A couple weeks ago, one of my friends posted this on Facebook, and I also found it on Pinterest, and it gave me reason to pause:



Aspartame... found in diet sodas, like Diet Coke, which I have said runs through my veins. I typically was downing one can of Diet Coke a day. So the day I saw that little infographic - even though I usually just ignore things like that - I decided to try giving it up for a few weeks. I was so upset at the store when I was looking at other diet drinks - Coke Zero, diet Sprite, diet root beer, etc etc - and they all have aspartame (don't know why I didn't put that together... duh).

And I haven't had a headache since then.

I think it's worth noting that I haven't given up caffeine - I still have coffee every morning - but all of the diet sodas we had are now sadly sitting in the back of the pantry, waiting for someone to drink them who won't get a debilitating headache later in the day. When I need a carbonated drink fix I just grab a regular root beer or Sprite and don't eat a snack I otherwise would have eaten.

A's sister says I would have had to give them up when we decided to get pregnant anyway, so I might as well get used to it now.


Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

ANYWAY, I am now looking forward to a relaxing Sunday with fondue night later : )
Stay warm everyone!
-K.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I'm glad you got to the bottom of it!! :) I don't like the taste of most diet sodas anyway. I prefer real sugar.

    ReplyDelete