Sunday, December 8, 2013

"If a book is well written, I always find it too short." - Jane Austen

(The title of this entry is ironic because of my previous struggles with reading Pride and Prejudice. I just can't. I still don't care about Elizabeth or Darcy or Charlotte or any of them.)

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas! It's been snowing all day, and now we have freezing rain on top of everything, so we have a two-hour delay for school tomorrow. That's fine with me - I don't want a snow day because I don't want to have to make it up later. The winter wonderland outside is very pretty, though : )

You might remember that in July (you know... like half a year ago, when it was warm and sunny for more than like 6 hours) I did this post where I made a list of books to read. Clearly I didn't complete the book challenge, but I have been reading the books! I did not forget about it.

Here's a rundown of my progress:

  • 5: Freebie! Read any book you'd like, as long as it follows the above rules. Have a Little Faith: The Story of a Last Request (Mitch Albom) - I LOVED this book. I wrote about it in this post


  • 5: Read a book that is less than 150 pages long. From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler (E.L. Konigsburg) - This was a cute book as well, also reviewed in this post


  • 10: Read a book with a color in the title. Silver Linings Playbook (Matthew Quick) - I haven't read this one yet! Waiting to hopefully get some Amazon gift cards for Christmas. 

  • 10: Read a book that is not the first in its series. Insurgent (Veronica Roth) - I have to say this is not my favorite series ever, but I did like the second book more than the first one, so I guess I might as well read the third. Here's my thing with Roth though - she pretty much kills everyone. If you get that sick of your characters, write a new series. :-\



  • 15: Read a book it seems everyone but you has read! The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Stieg Larsson) - Still haven't read it. My dad owns it so I'll probably borrow it and read it over Christmas. 

  • 15: Read a banned book. The Catcher in the Rye (J.D. Salinger) - another one I haven't gotten around to yet... 

  • 20: Read a book written by a celebrity. Bossypants (Tina Fey) - This is on my Christmas list!

  • 20: Read a nonfiction book that is not a memoir. Looking for God in Harry Potter (John Granger) - This had so much potential to be interesting... but it wasn't that awesome. 



  • 20: Read a book that takes place in a state you have never been in. 11/22/63 (Stephen King) - Texas - Haven't read this one yet either.

  • 25: Read a book that is at least 400 pages long. Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte) - This one I at least downloaded onto my Kindle.

  • 25: Read a book with a main character who shares your first name. The Clique (Lisi Harrison) - This was one of the most vapid, stupid books I have ever read. It's a YA series geared toward adolescent girls. I would never give it to a daughter of mine, because not only was the writing poor, but the characters were all so shallow and it seemed like the author's main concern was recapping fashion choices. Two thumbs down. 

"The Pretty Committee" on the left. BARF. These girls are supposed to be in 7th grade.


  • 30: Read a book written by an author who was born in the same year as you. The Darkest Minds (Alexandra Bracken) - 1987 - Haven't gotten around to this one yet either.


However, I have also read these books, that were not on the list - 
The Book Thief - this one was hard to get into at first, because the format was weird, but once I finally got going I couldn't put it down. 



The Musician's Daughter (excellent, especially for music nerds like me)



The entire Little House series (re-read, but it was fun)
The Beyonders: A World without Heroes
Spirit Animals: Book 1 - Wild Born
The Hangman's Daughter
Peter and the Starcatchers
aaaaand I'm currently reading "Handle with Care" by Jodi Picoult. 


My school library card is helping me find lots of new books so I don't have to keep re-reading the ones I have... so I'm hoping to get the most use out of it that I can. : )

Happy reading!
-K.

2 comments:

  1. I am really hoping I have time over Christmas to read. I'm so internet obsessed that by the time I get through all of my internet things and game apps on my iPad, I just don't have any time left to read. lol I'm horrible. I LOVE reading, but I hate to start something without being sure that I'll have a decent amount of time to read it.

    I am waiting for my copy of Allegiant. I ordered it from the Book Fair with my money from the PTO. Scott and I have both read the first two books, and we really like them. They're not quite as good as The Hunger Games series, but interesting enough that they'll be turning them into movies, too! Divergent comes out sometime in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there's so much violence in the books that I'm not sure if I'll be able to stomach the movies though... it's not my kind of thing. I got Allegiant out of the library yesterday so I'm reading it now!

      Delete