Thursday, December 5, 2013

A Christmas Carol: The Christmas Song

"Chestnuts roasting on an open fire, Jack Frost nipping off your nose..."

Yep. That's what I thought the lyrics were until I got older and realized that would be a little sadistic.



This is another one of those songs of which I have a ton of copies. Here's the thing though - I really don't like when more operatic (or "warbly" singers) try to take on more "pop" sounding songs. For example, I love Andrea Bocelli, but on his Christmas album, his recordings of "White Christmas" and "Jingle Bells" do nothing for me. His take on The Christmas Song isn't bad, but it's not my favorite, so it's not listed here.

The most well-known version of this song is the Nat King Cole version:


The version with Natalie Cole singing along with Nat is also pretty special... I have really grown to love Natalie's voice this holiday season.

My favorite version of The Christmas Song this year is a new discovery for me, a recording by Francesca Battistelli:


It's definitely an upbeat version of the song!

Another one I enjoy is the version by my guy, Michael Buble. I am so excited for his upcoming third annual Christmas special!



A classic version of the song is the Mel Torme & Judy Garland version. Mel Torme is the guy who wrote the song, and Judy Garland is... JUDY GARLAND. DUH.


Other versions I have in my vast iTunes library include Josh Groban, Charlotte Church, Sandi Patty, Straight No Chaser, Kenny G, and Celine Dion. 

Do you have a favorite version of The Christmas Song? Or have you ever messed up its lyrics? : )
-K.

No comments:

Post a Comment