Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Giving thanks: first installation

Today I decided I'd suck it up and stay up late to write a blog entry. : )

It's funny because I got on Blogger and saw a post at the top of my blog feed by Ashley, who was annoyed at people being annoyed at others' thanks on Facebook for the many variations of November's 30 Days of Thanks that are going on right now. And I was coming on my blog to write an entry similar to the status updates that many of my friends are posting every day, but in a more condensed form.

At first when I saw the slew of Facebook posts starting, I was like, great. Here we go again. But then I tried turning down my drama dial, something that I encourage my high school students to do on a daily basis. People are grateful for things. That's good. There is too much selfishness and ungratefulness in the world. There are too many people complaining about things on facebook, and giving thanks for things should be a nice change.

 (I swear, if I see one more person complain about retail decorating too early for Christmas and Christmas music playing too early... but I don't want to complain back. It seems hypocritical. I really enjoy Christmas and I'm not a big fan of Halloween, so I've been listening to Christmas music - privately, not shoving it in the world's proverbial face - since mid-October. Christmas brings me really happy memories, and the music is so happy and/or uplifting. So if you want to celebrate all November long with Pilgrims and turkeys, that is awesome for you. I am going to look forward to my favorite holiday and enjoy it for as long as I can!)

Yeah, yeah...

ANYWAY.

Without further ado, for the first seven days of November, here are seven things I am grateful for, in no particular order ---

1) Having fun with friends. I had a girls' night on Saturday with a couple of my college friends and a few of the girls I work with, and we had such a great time. It was so nice to get together to laugh, eat and drink, play games, and sing very loudly along with Disney movies. : )

2) Late Night with Jimmy Fallon. Choosing to DVR this show was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Oh hey, handsome funny man kissing a fluffy puppy. Hey.

3) Having a full time job teaching music. It is time consuming and stressful and frustrating and overwhelming. BUT. Being laid off was stressful and frustrating and overwhelming and very, very depressing. Anytime I start getting mad at the politics of education, or frustrated at the antics of some of my students, I thank my lucky stars that I have my job in the first place. Which leads me to number four...

4) Teaching really awesome kids. I am so lucky to have so many fantastic, motivated, compassionate, likable students. The fact that they are also really musically talented is a bonus. 

5) Reading. You guys. YOU GUYS. I have read so many books in the last month. I have been taking full advantage of my brand new library card. I will fill you in on more about this in a future blog entry.

6) Our Keurig machine. Two of my college friends bought it for us for our wedding. It has basically saved my life this fall. I love it. So. Much.

Wuv you, K-cups.

and

7) My little Penny. My little girl is getting spayed tomorrow... an important and necessary thing but I am so anxious for her and it will be so weird not having her around tomorrow night since she stays overnight at the vet! She drives us both bonkers but you look at her face and it's just like... awwwwwwwwwwwww

Here's our nephew taking Pen for a walk. AKA, the cutest picture ever.

And there you have it, my first week of thanks for November!

And it's 10:00 on a school night... ugh. I'm getting old.
Peace out everyone : )
-K.






2 comments:

  1. I know how you feel. I've been slacking in the blogging world because I feel like all I've been doing is running around and working. I wrote today's blog post while I was stuck at work for conferences. lol

    I like all of the things that you're thankful for. :) I force myself to wait until November 1st to start listening to Christmas music full time, but I will admit with about 2 weeks left in October, I stopped skipping Christmas music on my iPod. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray Christmas music! I had your mix from last year playing in my car : )

      Delete