Sunday, November 17, 2013

A Christmas Carol: I'm dreaming of a...

I'm continuing my Christmas Carol series after my first blog post about The Twelve Days of Christmas : )

Basically, quick catch-up, I love Christmas music, and I have multiple versions of many songs, so I'm reviewing some of my favorites.

Next up: WHITE CHRISTMAS



I have a soft spot for the song White Christmas, after performing in the musical version a couple of years ago. I made some great friends during that show and it was a great distraction for me while I was laid off from my job. "White Christmas" was written by American composer Irving Berlin - who also wrote really great songs like "God Bless America" and "There's No Business like Show Business." The song "White Christmas" is featured not only in the movie White Christmas but also Holiday Inn - which I have never seen. It is on my Netflix queue for this year, no worries.

According to Wikipedia there are over 500 known recordings of "White Christmas." I have 13 of them on my iTunes. : )

Let's start with the most famous version, recorded by Bing Crosby:

White Christmas - Bing Crosby



Bing's real name was Harry. Now you know!

White Christmas - Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Rosemary Clooney, etc. - movie version

Love. Love love love. There is so much craziness surrounding this movie - look it up sometime, or watch the extras on the DVD - but this scene is just magic. 


White Christmas - The Drifters

This version features prominently in Home Alone. It is so much fun to sing along with, and to switch between the parts. These guys could hit some crazy notes. 



White Christmas - The Rubber Band

This version is a mash up of "White Christmas," "Ticket to Ride," and "Happy Xmas (War is Over)." (I will not be featuring that last song, ever, because it drives me insane. Can't. Stand. It.) I love me a good mash-up, though. This is a pretty cool version.



White Christmas - Michael Buble & Shania Twain

I love me some Buble. His Christmas album is one of my favorite albums of all time - I will listen without skipping a song, and there are very few albums like that for me.

This version is based off of the Drifters' version.


White Christmas - Kelly Clarkson

This is from Kelly's new album, Wrapped in Red, which is pretty sweet. There are a few new songs on there mixed in with a bunch of classics, and she has some different takes on the classics, which is cool.


White Christmas - The Carpenters

This is more like Bing's original version. There is something so pure and clear about Karen Carpenter's voice, and it's a shame she died so young. This is a beautiful version of the song.




Those are just a few versions of this song that I enjoy - did I miss any? Which is your favorite?

Stay tuned for the next episode of Giving Thanks, on Thursday... this week is going to be a busy one, but hopefully a good one too! Tomorrow is my awards banquet for marching band, and I've worked really hard on it to make it nice, so I hope there's a good turnout and that everyone enjoys it. One thing is for sure: I will definitely sleep well tomorrow night!

Have a great week, everybody!
-K. 

1 comment:

  1. White Christmas is my most favorite non-religious Christmas song! As much as I love the movie and the performance of the song with all of the main characters, the version with Bing all by himself is my most favorite! I also really love The Drifters version from Home Alone, and like you, I have both. :) Kenny Rogers' version is also a really good one.

    ReplyDelete