Wednesday, August 14, 2013

HONEYMOON! post - Accommodations

All of these pictures in this post are my personal property so HANDS OFF : )

I loved our honeymoon so much.

I know I posted a lot about the planning process on here, but I have to say it again - I am so glad we ended up going to Disney. It was such a fantastic vacation. I am also glad we went right after the wedding - I know some people wait and then go a few weeks or months later, but it was definitely worth it for us. I feel like it would have been such a letdown after the business of the planning and the wedding weekend if we hadn't gone anywhere and A. just would have gone back to work on Monday. Blah.

Anyway, we had an early-morning flight to Disney, so we stayed over in Pittsburgh the night before. My aunt very generously used her Hyatt points to get us a room at the PIA Hyatt. It made everything so easy! We parked in extended parking, and walked to the people mover, which scooted us along to the entrance to the Hyatt. The next morning, we put our overnight bag back in the car, got back on the people mover, and continued right into the airport. Since we were super early, checking our bag was easy, and going through security also wasn't bad.

Fun story about that though - I stuck my hair up in a messy bun in the morning because I didn't want to put forth much effort, it being super early and us traveling and me having a ton of hair. So when I went through security they had to frisk my bun to make sure I wasn't hiding anything in my hair. You know that someone had to have tried something for them to have to do that!

The BEST THING about staying at the Hyatt was that they upgraded us to a suite since we were on our honeymoon!



The suite was SO HUGE! We didn't even use the room with the table and chairs. The bathroom was really big, as well. It was a great way to start our honeymoon!

Then... then we got to Florida. We used Disney's Magical Express to get to our hotel - which was great because we didn't have to wait for our bag at the baggage claim, we just went right to the bus and it drove us straight to the resort. They played a video on the bus and everything which just got me more excited for the week!

We stayed at the Port Orleans: French Quarter resort after a recommendation from a friend who frequents Disney. We were NOT disappointed!


The room was plenty big for the both of us, and I loved that the sinks were outside the toilet/shower area. It made getting ready very easy. "Mousekeeping" was in every other day - we kept the privacy sign on our door every other day because we really weren't that messy... But they left cute little surprises like those Mickey ear towels when they came in each time. : )


The back entrance to the lobby....  unfortunately I didn't get a picture of it but there was a guy standing there most days in full Mardi Gras attire to hold the door and greet you as you were coming in. On the weekends there was also a guy handing out Mardi Gras beads. 



The pool and water slide at the resort... too cute! The temperature of the water was perfect, BTW. Unfortunately I did not get a chance to use the water slide.


Outside the pool area

"Street signs" on the corners of the pathways in the resort - most of them were music-related

We stayed in building 3, the tuba building - each building had an instrument assigned to it

The landscaping at the resort was really beautiful, and we had a garden view room, so anytime we left our room we had a gorgeous view.


We tried to walk around a few times and really enjoy the resort, but let's face two honest truths here: we were honeymooners, and we were at Disney World. One of the most important bits of advice I read before our trip was that to remember it was okay to play hookey and stay in and not follow a really strict schedule - we didn't need to open or close the parks every day. 



We did walk over to see the other side of the Port Orleans resort, Riverside, at one point while Mousekeeping was in our room. It looks equally as gorgeous on that side. One of the bonuses though, of staying at the French Quarter, was that frequently we had our own buses to get to and from places - we didn't have to worry about stopping at a bunch of depots around the resort. We only had to share buses with the Riverside a few times the entire week. 



In case you are curious, this sign refers to golf carts.
But we didn't know that at the time, so I took a picture because it was completely random.

There was also excellent food at our resort... but that's another topic for another post. : )

We are definitely looking forward to going back again!!!
-K. 



1 comment:

  1. You certainly had beautiful accommodations! A nice place to stay seems to make trips that much better! :)

    ReplyDelete