Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The GM Diet, Day 2... aka how much I want a Klondike Bar

DISCLAIMER: I know these posts I wrote about the GM diet have been pinned and commented on, but make sure you consult with a doctor or nutritionist before beginning ANY diet, especially a drastic one like this. If you read the posts I wrote toward the end of the diet, you'll know I got very sick and ended it early... and also gained all of the weight back almost immediately. Make good choices! Be safe!

What would you doooooooooooo for a Klondike Bar?

Right now, I'm just trying not to destroy my persistence and motivation and rip my freezer apart.

For those of you who haven't seen it, this is one of the first things I ever pinned on Pinterest:



"For cleansing your body... 7 days = lose 10-17 pounds. I actually want to do this. It sounds incredible and delicious"


Like many other things I have pinned, it got buried in the depths of my Pinterest account and I forgot about it. (Actually, I forget about a lot of things on my Fitness board. I have good intentions, but when it comes to actually exercising.... ehhhh. I would exercise more if it didn't hurt my feet/knees/hips/back so much. Physically I'm an 80-year-old trapped in a 25 year old's body.)

ANYWAY.

Last weekend I met up with my college roomies again (twice in a month! LOVE IT) and one of them mentioned that she just did this diet last week and lost 5 pounds. I recognized it from this pin and decided to give it a second look. And on Sunday, I decided this was the week. Especially after all of the arts festival food I consumed on Saturday.

So the diet is called the GM Diet, and you can find specifics (not so much from the pin) here: http://www.gmdietworks.com/ Basically each day tackles one food group at a time, and forces you to consume gallons of water. I eat a lot of fruits and veggies anyway, and I try to drink mostly water, so I was like... I can do this. It's only 7 days. This is not an unrealistic goal. 


Image from blushbabyramblings.blogspot.com
This is pretty much what it looks like...


Sunday - Monday

I went grocery shopping and bought lots of fruits and veggies - cantaloupes, apples, pears, pineapple, peaches, spinach, salad mix, cucumbers, celery, cabbage, onion, tomatoes, peppers, carrots. I bought bags of frozen, steam-able veggies. I got the beef and bananas needed for later in the week. And surprisingly, it wasn't a totally expensive shopping trip. And yesterday I started off with a bang - I ate roughly a quarter of a cantaloupe in addition to a clementine for breakfast, and drank two glasses of water before I even left for school. I packed my lunchbox full of fruit. I WAS DOING THIS.

Then I got to school and there was a birthday luncheon set up in the faculty room. I completely forgot it was yesterday. There were crockpots full of pulled pork and chicken chili and an entire table full of desserts, including brownies and chocolate cake with peanut butter icing. When I got to lunch and the people around me were eating all of that, I wanted to cry. BUT, I did the good thing- and I only sampled the fruit salad (lots of berries! yum) and ate what I brought. I drank from my liter of water. I ate so much fruit yesterday and drank so much water that I was full, and I wasn't necessarily craving sweets, because of all of the sugar in the fruit. But I knew the Klondike bars were in the freezer, and I wanted peanut butter in the worst way. I will confess that I was pretty jittery by about 7 PM, so I had a handful of peanuts. That was my only diversion all day from the diet.

Let's also discuss my Diet Coke addiction.

Damn you Diet Coke. Yes, I'll be back. I know I will.


I joke that it runs through my veins. I know it's not the best thing to drink. But I usually have a can each morning to wake up. (Someday I will own a Keurig, and make my own coffee...) This week I can't have any of the Diet Coke, so I think some of my jitters last night were from lack of caffeine. Then I looked at the GM website again and noticed I was allowed to drink black tea. Not my favorite beverage, but I have it in my cupboard. So that's worked its way into my diet this week too. It's good, because I know I need to cut the Diet Coke habit. It is just painful.

Today

This morning I got to start the day with a baked potato. It was glorious. I know that sounds really weird - a baked potato for breakfast? - but seriously, after a day all fruits, having some starchy carbs was awesome. (Also, I found single microwavable potatoes at the grocery store... so that way I didn't have to buy a whole bag of potatoes!)

Also, I didn't feel so much like this:


I had carrots for a snack this morning, and then for lunch I had a huge spinach salad with tomatoes and light balsamic vinaigrette dressing, and half of a cucumber. For an afternoon snack I had a bag of sliced yellow and red peppers, and for dinner I had steamed Chinese vegetables. I'm starting to get hungry again though so I think the time is coming for another snack.

Basically, come hell or high water, I'm going to make it the whole week!

Tomorrow I have the next big obstacle in that I'm meeting my friends for dinner. I can eat any fruits or vegetables tomorrow, and I know that the place we're going can make a great salad - one of our usual group is vegan and I know she can find things to eat there. It's just going to be hard not to order a Diet Coke and a steak and steal some fries from someone's plate. ARGH. I am so excited for Thursday though and my banana shakes... mm mm mm!!!

But you know what? When I weighed myself this morning I was down 1.5 pounds from yesterday, so I'll take it. All I have to do is not go overboard after this diet ends, and hopefully I can maintain whatever weight I end up with.

AND on that happy note... have a great Wednesday everyone : )
-K.

1 comment:

  1. That definitely sounds challenging, but you can do it! As you said, it's only 7 days! :)

    ReplyDelete