Friday, April 19, 2013

My HP Fix: Sorceror's Stone

You guys.

This has been an exhausting week. For everyone in the country, I think. Exhausting.

On one hand, I can't believe we're over halfway through April.
On the other hand, I feel like this week lasted a million years.

At any rate, I am happy to (finally) bring to you my HP fix for this week. Better late than never!



This week we are all talking about The Sorcerer's Stone. (Or Philosopher's Stone, depending on the version you have.) The one that started it all. 


My absolute favorite part of the Sorcerer's Stone is the obstacle course set by the professors that the trio encounters toward the end of the book. As a kid, this was one of those page-turners that I couldn't put down, and I still think it is extremely well-written and engrossing. I love that each subject/professor has its own room and that combined, the trio has the smarts and wherewithall to make it through all of them. My favorite is the riddle in the Potions room (which was also, incidentally, pretty cool on Pottermore - I liked that they made you actually solve the riddle). 

I also like the Mirror of Erised. 


I think it's so important to understand how much Harry wishes for his family, and what a gift it is to him to be able to see them around him. I'm re-reading book 7 again right now (Kindle lending library FTW) and a few days ago reached the part where Harry was realizing Dumbledore may not have been truthful when he answered that he saw himself holding socks in the mirror. (I mean, really? But kids can be seriously gullible, so I can see how that didn't get a second thought until six years later.) 

Also, HEY invisibility cloak!

This is one of the things that came up on my Google images search for Invisibility Cloak.
Can we talk about how seriously WEIRD this is?
Seriously.

And if not for the Sorcerer's Stone, one of my favorite HP movie moments never would have happened:



On that note... have a great weekend!
-K.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoy the obstacle course, too. It bothers me that not all parts of it are shown in the movie, but then again, it always bothers me when parts of a book are left out of a movie! lol

    Thanks for linking up! :)

    ReplyDelete