Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Food and books... two of my favorite things

TWO DAYS IN A ROW WHAAAAAAT?!

I know. Crazy.

Today I decided I'd like to share a few books I've read/been reading lately, and also link up to Dinner Time Thursday with Becky!


Tonight's dinner was....


Taco salad! Nom nom nom. I'm not a big taco fan, but in salad form, it is pretty good. 

BOOK TIME

"Fablehaven" - Brandon Mull

Last year a few of my students were reading these books, and I was vaguely interested. Then I got a Kindle for my birthday, and I was looking for cheap books to buy for it, and I remembered this series. 

I'm SO GLAD I did.



I promise you, if you like Harry Potter, you will enjoy Fablehaven. It's a fantasy series based on a teenage sister and brother. They go to their grandparents' house to stay for the summer and discover that it is actually a reservation for magical creatures. These books are so well written, and the stories so engrossing, it is really difficult to put them down. I've already read the series twice since last summer.... it's so good. Seriously. Check it out.

"The Five Love Languages" - Gary D. Chapman

I don't think this is a book I'd normally pick up just to read, but our pastor assigned it to me and A. for our pre-marital counseling. It's pretty interesting. The first chapter/prologue was a drag to get through, but once I reached the part about the love languages, it became more readable and less textbook.



(A. is not actually reading this... he's not much of a reader. I am giving him Cliff's Notes as I go. : )



I also just finished re-reading "Picture Perfect" by Jodi Picoult. It's a good book, but if you're going to read a Jodi Picoult book, you should check out "My Sister's Keeper," "Nineteen Minutes," "Plain Truth," or "House Rules." (NOT the movie for My Sister's Keeper, which was one of the worst book-to-movie adaptations I've ever seen.)

And now I'm going to go back to re-reading HP & The Deathly Hallows. For about the twentieth time. : )
Speaking of HP, I'm sure I'll be back for the HP Weekly Fix tomorrow!
Til then-
K.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE taco salad. I hardly ever just eat a taco in its regular form any more. I did a little while ago just because I "forgot what it was like." I'll stick to salad form! Thanks for linking up! :)

    Also, the Fablehaven books sound amazing! I'll have to add them to my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dooooooooo it! Then I'll finally have someone to talk about them with, other than my middle school students : )

      Delete