Sunday, March 3, 2013

Sleep, sweet nightengale

Goooood morning!

Lately I've been having this problem with sleep.

I've been trying to get to bed on time at night to get enough sleep. Sometimes I get a bath before bed because it helps me fall asleep. The days that we paint or I spend all day teaching lessons, I feel exhausted enough that I could collapse. We have light-cancelling insulated curtains in our bedroom. But I still feel tired and when I wake up in the morning, I don't feel like I've slept enough.

Sleepy puppy


I think a lot of it has to do with stress. Between the house and the wedding and the job-hunting, I probably have more stress right now than I've ever dealt with before. But another problem is nightmares. Since we started wedding planning, my nightmares regarding wedding-related things have increased. Other brides, past present and future, tell me this is normal. Lately, though, I've had a pretty drastic increase in nightmares that have nothing to do with the wedding.

What. The. Heck.

So I decided to investigate this morning a little, because I'm sick of feeling tired and cranky all the time.

First, I found this:




Source: wellergize.ca via Janet on Pinterest


Basically, what I learned here is that I should be paying more attention to my sleep cycles. I'm really bad at taking naps because I am not good at shutting my brain off. I always feel like I should get up and get something done.

I have seen this pin on Pinterest before and checked it out, to tell me when I should be falling asleep according to when I have to get up:


Source: sleepyti.me via Lauren on Pinterest


But since nightmares are my problem right now... I decided to read this article on what causes them:

"For some people, certain medicines, alcohol, drugs, lack of sleep, fever, or anxiety sometimes cause nightmares. Often, though, nightmares seem to be triggered by emotional issues at home or school, major life changes such as a move, traumatic experiences, and stress from the pressures of sports or academics — although what happens in the nightmares themselves may seem unrelated to your life."

Well, go figure. Life changes. Anxiety.

Basically this morning I haven't learned much new information, other than that maybe I should [try to] take a nap later.

Have any of you ever had sleep problems? How did you solve them?
-K.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry that you're having trouble sleeping. I wish I had some good advice to help you....for now,I would suggest to continue to try things to relax and wind down before bed (like a bath)...even when you're already exhausted. Just because your body could drop doesn't mean your mind could.

    I leave you with a virtual hug. *hug*

    ReplyDelete