Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Harry Potter: Characters

Oh, you guys. I was doing so well.

But in the past couple days I have developed this crazy, crazy cough.

There are all kinds of illnesses going around school right now, but I have been so good with my vitamins, my water, and eating my fruits and vegetables - not to mention my typical lunch includes a bowl of soup - but NO. Somehow some of those sneaky germs still found me. UGHHH.

I hate coughing because it takes so long to shake it, and it's so obnoxious. It's not like one of those sicknesses that makes you miserable for 48 hours and then disappears. Blah!

Anyway, it's my favorite blogging day - My Harry Potter Fix!



This week's questions have to do with characters.

1. Which character would you like to have read more about?
You know, I have to go with Hermione on this one. She's one of the main characters and I feel like there's so much we don't know about her. What was her life like before Hogwarts? How did she find out she was magical? Did she have any Muggle friends growing up or was she always isolated because she's so damn smart? Did she have any other family than her parents? (Assuming no, because she only wiped their memories and no one else's.) How did her parents explain her absence to their family and friends? (Assuming they said she was at boarding school, which is accurate and also reasonable, since everyone had to know she was so smart.) I feel like we learn so much about the Weasleys, and of course we know Harry extremely well, but we didn't get much backstory on Hermione, which seems surprising to me. 

I have to admit that I went to the Harry Potter Lexicon on this one, just to make sure there was nothing significant I had overlooked, and I found this essay by a guy who was just as curious about Hermione's backstory as me.



2. Is there a character you think was unnecessary in the series?
I know there is a purpose to everything JKR did regarding the series, and she is obviously a genius at foreshadowing and incorporating small details that turn into huge plot points later on. I was really tempted to say Percy Weasley, because he's a huge pompous jerk, but he is definitely important in the series for a few reasons, so I will leave Percy alone. Ugh.

I think I have to go with Ludo Bagman, who was in Goblet of Fire, in case you don't remember him. His character annoyed me, basically he only existed as a "red herring" kind of character. In fact, he was entirely written out of the movie, which I think underscores how unnecessary he really was.

Was I sad when Ludo didn't show up in any of these scenes? No.
Actually it took me a while to realize that he was missing.

Really, it comes down to this: No one messes with my Weasley twins. No one.



'Til next week, fellow HP fans : ) Hopefully my cough is gone by then!
-K.

2 comments:

  1. I'm loving all of the answers to these questions! None of us have had the same answers yet! You make such a good point about Hermione. We know that Harry was so isolated, so he didn't really have Muggle friends, but Hermione?? Wow! She probably was much better adjusted! You've really got me thinking! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your answers! I totally didn't realize that they left Bagman out of the movie (I haven't seen it in a while...) but you're right that he exists solely as a red herring. And Hermione...I didn't even THINK of her but your points are SO true! I have wondered in the past how she found out that she was a witch, but you're totally right that we know basically nothing about her life outside of Hogwarts. How strange!

    ReplyDelete