Sunday, March 17, 2013

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Heyyyyyyyy!

I have to (much more cautiously this time) announce that we again have internet. Hurrah!

Additionally, before I get into the meat of this post, I started - and finished - the book The Fault in Our Stars this weekend. Oh. My. Gosh. It was beautiful and smart, happy and funny, sad and tragic. I cried a lot toward the end. If you have been directly impacted by the death of someone young due to illness, however, it might not be the best choice for you. Kind of like it's not a good idea to read Marley and Me the month after you've had your 17-year-old dog put down. (I speak from experience here.)

ANYWAY. So tomorrow we have a faculty luncheon at school. We have one every month, and we all signed up at the beginning of the year for the month we were providing lunch. I picked March because I knew the other teachers there pretty well, and figured it would be easy to plan with them. Well, I wasn't thinking that March = St. Patrick's Day theme. I am not Irish at all - my heritage is principally German and Polish with a little bit of Norwegian and Slovak thrown in. Also, green food? Hmm.

So of course, I turned to Pinterest for help. (What did I do before Pinterest? I don't know. Spent a lot less time on the computer probably.)

I found this and felt like I struck gold (ha, ha):






The biggest pain in the butt about this recipe was the separation of the marshmallows from the cereal in the Lucky Charms. I just sat down in front of the TV with a TV tray and a bowl and watched mindless reality shows while I did this task. However, now everything is mixed together and it looks like this (if I do say so myself, pretty DARN close to the original):



It also tastes awesome! Winning.

Along with a standard spinach salad and toppings, I am also providing a big bowl of pasta salad. This is a recipe I picked up from my mom, and is one of few "picnic salads" I will eat. I just don't like macaroni salad, potato salad, broccoli salad, jello salad, or anything like that. But this, this I will eat.

Mom's Pasta Salad



What you need:
Rotini noodles (I used two boxes of tri-color rotini, since I'm making a big batch and wanted it to look festive)
Chopped green peppers
Chopped onions (I don't recommend doing these in advance because they stunk up our whole fridge.) 
Chopped pepperoni
Mozzerella cubes - about 1/2 inch each
Italian dressing (I usually use Kraft Zesty Italian. DO NOT use low-fat or fat-free dressing. I've tried this in an effort to slim down the recipe, and it tastes gross and gives you a really gross after-taste. Just don't.)

You can also add tomatoes, which I didn't do this time. 

Boil the rotini noodles until soft; drain and rinse. 
Add half a bottle of Italian dressing, mix well.  
Add green peppers and onions, mix well. Add pepperoni and mix again. Add more Italian dressing as needed.
Allow pasta to cool COMPLETELY before adding Mozzerella cubes and mixing together.

And you have pasta salad! Yum.


I am also providing the candy for this event, so I picked up little bags of Skittles (Taste the Rainbow!) and individually wrapped mini-Reese's cups and Rolos... you know, to make a pot of gold. : )

I hope you are all enjoying your weekend and have a great week!
-K.

2 comments:

  1. What cute ideas! :)

    I am sad to hear that you don't like potato salad! lol Scott & I LOVE it...especially from the park (aka Delgrosso's). Mmmmm.... I do like pasta salad, too, and yours sounds yummy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Murf's potato salad is my ONLY exception. : ) Yum!

    ReplyDelete