Friday, March 1, 2013

Blast from the past - AIM

Well hey there!

Do you remember AIM? That is, AOL Instant Messenger?



AIM was the precursor to facebook chat, and it took me from junior high through college... from flirting with boys through ambiguous away messages to IMing my friends in the other dorm (or heck, IMing my roommate who was sitting next to me in our room) if they were ready to go to dinner.

Anyway, I was just cleaning out my desktop computer - because it was a SLOW MESS - and I found AIM in my list of programs.

Of course, instead of deleting it right away, I had to log on and check it out. To my surprise, two of my friends were "active." (I'm not sure if they realize that though.) Everyone else on there had their mobile icon on. Apparently I stopped using AIM right around the time I met A., in late 2009 or early 2010. (That may also have something to do with my ex, who was having some difficulties with letting go.) My "user info" was simple but still relevant, which shocked me.

Speaking of which, remember the original AOL profiles? The ones you could find codes to change the colors and override things and make really nifty shapes in? That was like... introduction to HTML for me. : ) LOL  - check out this article about 90s AOL, it is hysterical. And mostly accurate.

Back to the main event. Anyway, I also looked at my list of away messages. I remember having a really impressive stash of them when I was in college, saved according to my class schedule (MWF or TTH), but I must have really streamlined when I started a real job and everything. Regardless, for your viewing pleasure, here are the away messages I had saved on my AIM before I uninstalled it fifteen minutes ago:

I'm always thinking one step ahead. I'm like a carpenter. Who makes stairs.
- Andy Bernard

"I have been Michael’s number two guy for about 5 years. And we make a great team. We’re like one of those classic famous teams. He’s like Mozart and I’m like...Mozart's friend. No. I’m like Butch Cassidy and Michael is like...Mozart. You try and hurt Mozart? You’re gonna get a bullet in your head courtesy of Butch Cassidy." - Dwight Schrute

"Ah, music... a magic beyond all that we do here!" - Albus Dumbledore

Found in strings methods notes: Feb. 15, 2008:
KW: "I was reading the book last night..."
Professor: "No! NO NO NO! Don't read the book! Why do you think I have you buy it?!"

"Humor is just another defense against the universe." -Mel Brooks

Penny: "I guess you're aware that Leonard asked me out."
Sheldon: "Well, he didn't actually say anything. but when he came back to the apartment, he was doing a dance that brought to mind the happy hippos in Fantasia."

Howard: "Oh, he was just comparing Sheldon to a feminine cleansing product one might use on a summer's eve."
Penny: "...And the bag it came in."

 Enjoy! : )
K.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVED AIM...especially on college. I did the same things you mentioned, and I had TONS of saved away messages from song lyrics to funny quotes forms AIM conversations with friends. It was always an honor if something you said in a conversation because part of someone's profile or an away message. Oh I do miss those days! :)

    ReplyDelete