Thursday, February 28, 2013

My Harry Potter Fix - Least Favorite edition


This week's Harry Potter Fix is all about least favorite characters... which was interesting to consider. All of JKR's characters are there for a reason, so obviously I don't like all of them, but I understand why they are part of the story. Some of them I just don't like because I find them annoying, not because they are "villains."

"Poisonous toadstools don't change their spots." - Ron Weasley

1. Least Favorite Hogwarts Student


I always found Pansy Parkinson annoying. She's a bully, she's frequently described as either "simpering" or "shrieking," and she is in love with Draco. The scene in Book 6 when Harry is invisible in the Slytherin compartment on the Hogwarts Express, and Pansy is stroking Draco's hair and described as looking like she has won the best prize EVER.... barf.

Also, that GIF up there. "Someone grab him!" SERIOUSLY.

2. Least Favorite Muggle

Let's be honest... there really aren't too many choices here. There are maybe 6 or 7 Muggle characters of any importance in the HP series, and you can't pick someone like the Muggle Prime Minister (loved that chapter) or Frank Bryce. I have to go with Aunt Marge.


She is also a bully, she is clearly a glutton, and she is just extremely rude. Some people just don't know when to shut their mouths, you know? On Pottermore, JKR explained that a lot of Marge's sour attitude is because of her unrequited love of Colonel Fubster... but is that really an excuse to act like a big jerk?

Fun side note: the actress that played Aunt Marge in PoA also played The Trunchbull (another big bully) in Matilda. : )

3. Least Favorite Death Eater

Barty Crouch..... junior!


Ew, ew, ew. First of all, the actor does that tongue-flick thing, which is super creepy. Secondly, I don't think the character has a conscience or soul (ha! literally). He treats Winky like crap, even though she sticks her neck out for him. He kills his own father. He impersonates some poor man and keeps him locked in a trunk for an entire school year, and oh yeah, the whole thing with being in league with Voldemort.

A really despicable human being. "I'll be welcomed back like a hero!" Ew.

4. Least Favorite Hogwarts Teacher

I feel like there are plenty of teachers to pick from here, which is unfortunate. However, I think my final answer is going to be Professor Binns.


History of Magic could be a really interesting subject, one that could really have supplemented the canon, instead of a bunch of exposition tossed around by Hermione. However, we're stuck with the ghost of Binns. He doesn't really take notice of the students, and the one time they do speak up, he gets their names all wrong (which is a big pet peeve of mine today, and probably influenced my decision). I had a professor in college - ironically, it was for Music History - who also had a monotone voice and talked through her teeth without really moving her lips.... which made it difficult to pay attention in class. Luckily, she was still a good teacher and I did manage to learn a lot from her despite the lack of inflection in the lecture.

Seriously though, could we really not find anyone else to teach History of Magic after Binns died? Is it a question of budget? Sheesh.


And there's my HP fix for this week : ) Looking forward to the next one!
See ya later-
K.

4 comments:

  1. "Is it a question of budget?" hahaha love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously though! Come on, Hogwarts Board of Governors.

      Delete
  2. Love your answers! I didn't even consider Professor Binns, but he certainly IS a horrible teacher. And I didn't know that Marge is Trunchbull - but I hate them both so it works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! When I found out about that actress I was like... mind blown.

      Delete