Saturday, January 19, 2013

Step in time and spackling!

Happy Saturday!!!

My parents came for a spontaneous visit this morning. I love seeing them and spending time with them, so it was nice that they decided to come down for a little bit. My dad wanted to see the house - he hasn't seen it other than in pictures - so we went over and crept around, peeking through windows and doors. Our appliances were delivered this week, and there is plenty of equipment under the deck and in the garage.... though a few of the things we put in our contract haven't been taken care of yet. Which is fine since we still have two weeks to closing. I just can't wait to actually have a key and be able to go in and out!

Mom also wanted to stop by the shop where I got my dress and look for a dress for her to wear for the wedding. We found a couple good options, but she wants to keep looking. It was fun for us, probably not for A. and my dad, who just sat in the armchairs at the front of the store while we poked around. On a side note, some mother-of-the-bride dresses are SO UGLY. What are people thinking?! My mom wound up trying on longer bridesmaid gowns because the MOTB gowns left a lot to be desired. It was still nice to see her and spend a little time with her. I am lucky to have a great relationship with my parents, and I miss them a lot. 

Anyway, the past few days have been full of off-and-on packing, and I have taken most of our decorations and pictures down from the walls. I had to spackle a few holes, which was really easy! We got this kit from Home Depot: 


This particular spackle starts out pink and then as it dries, turns white - so you know when it's okay to sand and paint over it.
This particular hole came with the house... but since I was spackling the holes I made, I was having too much fun with the pink goop, and decided I might as well fix all the holes.

The house is starting to look naked and sad now without all of our personal effects... all the furniture is still here, obviously we haven't moved anything yet, but it's definitely becoming boring. I'm excited to move into our new house, but I am going to be sad to leave this house after all the memories we've had here. It's the longest I've lived in a place without moving since I started college. 

I just turned on the TV and Mary Poppins is on. I love Dick van Dyke. He is just so... lovable. And funny and talented and handsome. The "Step in Time" scene is the best. I love when they're dancing around the house and everyone gets caught up in the excitement, and Mr. Banks just stands there looking around him like "what the heck is going on?" I did this song with my kindergartners last spring and they LOVED it. Gave them plenty of chances to get their energy out. I miss doing that kind of thing. 

Well, time to pack a few more boxes. Have a great weekend everyone!
K. 

1 comment:

  1. I completely understand about MOTB dresses. When I got married, I just felt like so many of them are....old ladyish. It's like the bridal industry is stuck in the past when mothers must have been very old when their daughters got married....

    My mom & Scott's mom both chose bridesmaids dresses in different styles for our wedding, and they looked great! :)

    ReplyDelete