Wednesday, January 30, 2013

No-Bake Cookies ("Haystacks")

HI.

I am having a not-so-awesome day today.

One of the most frustrating things about it is that it's one of those days where I keep dropping EVERYTHING. Nothing will stay in these hands of mine.

So you'd think I would avoid something like baking, right? So many things could go wrong there. So. Many. Things.

But no.

When I got home from school today after a pretty dismal 24 hours, I pulled out a recipe that reminds me of home and decided to get it done. You know how there are certain foods that your mom just makes better, no matter how exactly you follow the recipe? For me the standouts are chocolate chip cookies, French toast, and no-bake cookies. (For the record, my dad makes really awesome burgers and ribs.)

Since weigh-in Wednesday was this morning (I broke even this week, which is okay with me, considering how much I ate last weekend at C's) I now have my weekly points allowance back, and I decided I would blow some of it on no-bake cookies.

Can I just eat one now? Please?

These are by NO MEANS following ANY KIND of healthy recipe. I've seen recipes for healthy no-bakes. Whatever. Today I wanted the real thing

No-Bake Cookies (also known as "haystacks")
1/4 lb. (1 stick) margarine
1/2 cup milk (NOT skim!)
2 cups sugar 
3 Tbsp cocoa
1/2 cup peanut butter
3 cups oatmeal

* Make sure to follow these steps in order or they won't turn out right... I know this from experience *

- Combine margarine, milk, sugar, and cocoa in a pan.
- Boil hard for two minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter.
- Beat five minutes, add oatmeal
- Drop in Tbsp on tray (but I usually just go with wax paper)

....The hardest part is waiting for them to cool. I want to eat them NOW. 

Anyway, I think I'm going to kick back for a few minutes and read while I wait for them to cool. (Latest book: "The Perks of Being a Wallflower." Very interesting!) We have our final walk-through for the new house tonight. Settlement is tomorrow. I am excited. I am anxious. I am stressed. Basically what I'm saying is making these cookies will NOT be in vain!

Take it easy, everyone, and if you make the cookies - enjoy : )
K. 

No comments:

Post a Comment